Friday, July 10, 2009

Egg N Cheese Sangwich


This morning I woke up hungover and in desperate need of an egg and cheese sandwich. I had the most inordinately difficult time finding a place that would serve me one after noon. Hello people, this is New York City, since when is anything ever unavailable because of the time of day?
Since I had to go to J&R anyway, I spent a while wandering around the financial district to no avail. Until suddenly I had an epiphany and realized that what I needed had been right under my nose the whole time. Of course: Hot Bagels! I jumped right on the train. Back in my hood I made a beeline for HoBags. I was almost there when, right in front of Radio Shack, a frazzled hippy woman said loudly, "Do you have just a moment to spare for clean energy?" I reacted the way I usually do to such entreaties: a muted 'No' and an almost imperceptible headshake. As I hurried by, she threw up her hands in exasperation, like she was dealing with a petulant child, and said forcefully "You have a nice day." There was a certain acidity to her tone that I did not appreciate.
Lady, you don't understand.
I am on a mission here.
(I should have said to her).
You have no idea of the trials I have been through to find a simple egg and cheese sandwich to feed to my hangover. It's crying out for melted cheese and egg smooshed together between a limp roll. You wanna talk about clean energy? So do I. I wanna talk about eggs. They're good clean energy for me. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get some clean energy so I can fuel a long day of sitting on my ass in front of the television.
You have a nice day.

ps. my corner deli (where they only serve breakfast sandwiches til 11am, the fascists) has a sign that says "sanguiches." I wonder if it's intentional. either way I love it.

1 comment:

Mack. said...

that "sangwich" looks amazing.

and that entire post was amazing as well.

also, "sanguiches" for "egg sandwich"?