Wednesday, July 15, 2009

90s Style Icons


I have always loved Clarissa Explains It All (and own it on DVD, natch) and Clarissa's fab outfits are a source of inspiration. One of my favorites was a bright blue coat with brass military-like detailing accompanied by a black and white headscarf. The best part was a thin braid behind the scarf, with a gold fish skeleton dangling from it. LOVE it. Lots of creative uses of patterned leggings, plaid, and crazy pattern combinations abound on the show. Now I have found a similar figure in Rayanne Graff from My So-Called Life. Rayanne and her friend Rickie (pictured below) are nothing if not original. Rickie's red military jacket knocked my socks off, and Rayanne's creativity with her blond curls, including the ever-present loose lock on the right side of her face, is always welcome. One of my favorite Rayanne outfits was a structured green jacket with great sculptural shape over a zebra-print dress. Not to mention a large number of incredible dangly earrings and a fabulous vampiress costume for the Halloween episode. Amazing. If only I could pull it off.

1 comment:

Mack. said...

problem: I've never actually seen a whole episodes of my so-called life.