Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Harvey

I had the pleasure of watching this wonderful film last night for the first time.

It was funny, smart, and touching all at once. I can't believe it was made in 1950, it seems so far ahead of its time. James Stewart was nominated for an Oscar for his role, and Josephine Hull won one for hers.
Speaking of Josephine Hull, I couldn't help noticing that she looks exactly like Rip Torn in drag.

Apparently they're not related, but the resemblance is spooky, though I couldn't find any pictures that really do it justice. Take a peek at the clip above and see if you agree.
I want a copy of the portrait Elwood has done of him and Harvey!

I liked this quote in particular: "Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

No comments: